In partnership with local colleges and universities, BPOC provides year-round internships in the technology field.
The internships program at BPOC offers participants on-the-job training in areas including desktop/server technologies, video editing, and website development. Interns have the opportunity to work alongside BPOC staff to acquire highly marketable technology skills.
We look for interns who:
- Are energetic, outgoing and friendly, with enthusiasm and interest in the technology field
- Have excellent communication skills
- Can work independently and be flexible in a variety of settings
- Have a keen interest in lifelong learning
- Are excited to work in a dynamic environment with people of all ages, backgrounds, and opinions
- Come prepared and are dependable and punctual
Technical Support Intern
Status: Internship Unpaid for Academic Credit
Hours: 10 – 15 hours (Monday – Friday)
Reports to: Director of Technology Services
The Technical Support Intern candidate should be a dynamic, business-minded, proactive individual with strong communication skills who aspires towards a career in technology support. In the Information Technology Internship, students will gain hands-on experience providing technical support for cultural organizations located in Balboa Park and the wider San Diego area. The intern will learn customer service skills, the systematic process of computer deployments, troubleshooting for PCs and Macs, and all around general technical support.
The internship will provide interns with a variety of skills and abilities including, but not limited to, the following:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to perform minor repairs and maintenance to internal and external clients
- Ability to prepare and deploy new IT devices to specification
- Ability to create documentation of project progress and procedures
- Experience answering and servicing Help Desk calls and tickets
- Ability to perform and maintain an asset inventory
- Basic understanding of WiFi standards and troubleshooting basic WiFi issues
- A minimum of a 2 year degree or relevant college level coursework required
- Communications and customer service experience
- Knowledge of productivity applications such as Microsoft Office
- Some knowledge of PCs, laptops, and their architecture and repair
- Basic knowledge of current and previous Windows and/or Macintosh operating systems
- Basic knowledge of internet and networking environments
- A strong desire and initiative to learn new technologies
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Interest in working with cultural organizations
- Sitting, grasping, walking, traveling, bending/stooping, kneeling, reaching outward, pushing/pulling (estimated usual amount 15lbs, max amount 60lbs), squatting/crouching, manual dexterity, crawling, lifting (estimated usual amount 15lbs, max amount 40lbs), balancing, standing, driving, carrying (estimated usual amount 10lbs, max amount 20lbs), climbing, reaching above shoulder.
The internship description is intended as a guide to the general internship and is not inclusive of the entire internship. Upon the completion of the internship, the student is not entitled to a job.
BPOC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email, with “Technical Support Intern I” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should include reasons for wanting the internship, skills the intern hopes to learn, future career plans, and times of availability.